The whole point of free speech is not to make ideas exempt from criticism but to expose them to it.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Newland checks in for messages

Here's the deal. Since April 27 (my last post) I've been on the road 17 days, 4000 miles and 100 convenience store toilets. I've been trying to sleep during a lot of the downtime.

Four of those days I spent in Las Vegas as a delegate to the Libertarian Party's national convention, where I helped (although he didn't need it) Gary Johnson become the LP's nominee for president.

Obama supporters should probably be glad, Romney supporters not so much. In a close electoral race, Johnson (who will be on the ballot in every state) might take enough votes from Romney to make the difference.

I think there's a good possibility that Gary Johnson might take more votes than any previous Libertarian has in a presidential election. Admittedly, 1.25 million votes out of some 180 million cast is not a high bar.

You can find the Libertarian Party platform here, on the newly-launched SoDak Libertarian Party's website.

1 comment:

D.E. Bishop said...

I read the LP platform. Very interesting. There is a lot that I like. It looks like there are plenty of options for chaos too.

How are the government functions to be paid for?

What do you think would happen if the education plank were enacted?

I have other questions too. Maybe you could write a post just about the platform, or a plank or two at a time. Eh?