The whole point of free speech is not to make ideas exempt from criticism but to expose them to it.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Mormons or Mormans

Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are known as Mormons because the Book of Mormon was revealed the the founder of the church, Joseph Smith, at Palmyra NY back around 1820. Mormon was the name of the angel, son of Moroni, who appeared to Smith and gave him the Urim and Thummin, which, I think, were like spectacles that allowed Smith to translate and transcribe the Book of Mormon from the plates of gold on which it was originally written.

The Book of Mormon is the history of one or more of the lost tribes of Israel in the Western Hemisphere. American Indians are descendants of the Tribe of Laman, and are known in the LDS church as Lamanites. Mormons are given to saying, "I know this to be true."

I mention this because the poll at right confuses me. Is it asking about LDS members? Or is it asking if a member of the Morman Law Firm in Sturgis is a true American? If so, good question.

9 comments:

Bill Fleming said...

The poll confused me too, Bob. (I think maybe Mike wrote it?) I mean, what if all of those people were from Scotland?

Bill Fleming said...

Also, I see someone bullet voted "agnostic." That's pretty funny. Maybe you should bullet vote "Morman."

Michael Sanborn said...

I misspelled Mormon. Sorry. I can't edit now that people have responded.

The whole religious thing with Sibson just has me torqued because I can't seem to get it through his head that one does not have to agree with Sibson to be a True American. He pissed me off.

I should know better.

Bill Fleming said...

Sibby, how come you're over here pissing Mike off? Where are your manners?

Taunia Adams said...

Why are you guys letting him comandeer your site?

Bill Fleming said...

You mean Sibby, Taunia?

We're polishing him.

Spiffing him up.

He's been hanging out with Glen Beck too much.

We're trying to help him get his mind back.

Do you think he's being too annoying?

Taunia Adams said...

Annoying?

Annoying is a fly buzzing your face at sun up when you're not quite awake.

Annoying is people eating with their mouth open.

Annoying is people talking loudly in a library.

Sibson is like slamming your hand in the car door over and over and over.

Is that annoying?

Thad Wasson said...

What about the BT of the LGBT?

Bill Fleming said...

Can I just get a BLT?