The whole point of free speech is not to make ideas exempt from criticism but to expose them to it.

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Another Policeman on the Bench?

The rumor about town is that Pennington County States Attorney Glen Brenner has the inside track on becoming the next judge in the Seventh Circuit.

I don't know Mr. Brenner. I've spoken on the phone to him a time or two. He has been the states attorney since unseating Dennis Groff. I don't have enough information about him to declare an opinion about his qualifications to be a judge.

But I've said on this blog and on others that I believe it is important for the judiciary to err on the side of liberty. That the bulk of Mr. Brenner's career has been spent as a prosecutor brings little comfort. I hope the judiciary committee has other options with broader trial experience than just a career-long effort to put more people in jail.

No comments: