The whole point of free speech is not to make ideas exempt from criticism but to expose them to it.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Newland's Reading List

My favorite books are adventure stories, told well and with humor. Luis Alberto Urrea pretty much monopolizes that field at the moment. The first book he wrote that I read was The Hummingbird's Daughter. (Click images to see more about each book.)



Then I read By the Lake of Sleeping Children.

By the Lake of Sleeping Children

Then I read The Devil's Highway.



I just started Queen of America, a sequel to Hummingbird's Daughter.



Today, I ordered three more Urrea books. Fiction or non-fiction, he makes life the adventure story it is. Of course, most of his work entails documentation of lives more "interesting" than ours. If you like to read, I don't see how you can't like Urrea.

No comments: