The U.S. Attorneys' Offices in California recently began informing real estate owners that their property would be subject to forfeiture if they continued to rent to cannabis dispensaries. The IRS recently denied normal business deductions from their taxable income--stuff like rent, power, water, salaries--for medical cannabis dispensaries. For the past couple of years, banks have been recusing themselves from touching "marijuana" money.
This comes on the heels of President Obama's campaign promise not to interfere federally with people who were obeying state medical cannabis laws, and even more closely on his post-election re-affirmation of that promise.
Dispensaries have paid hundreds of millions of dollars of state taxes in California, and a significant amount to the IRS as well.
These brilliant moves by Barack Obama and his Attorney General Eric Holder are bewildering. They will accomplish this:
1) The dispensaries will fold up.
2) The 50% (I made that percentage up) of people who were marketing cannabis legally will quit marketing it legally.
3) 100% of the people marketing cannabis in California will do so illegally.
3) a) There will be no taxes paid on cannabis sales except for what the cops can seize.
3) b) The people who have killed 40,000 people in Mexico in the past four years will use California as their principal point of entry into a market at which they excel competively. (Dead competition is no competition.)
3) c) The number of people marketing marijuana illegally, without paying taxes, will double. Prices will rise, as will profits to the most vicious people (excepting maybe young federal and local prosecutors) on earth.
4) Cannabis advocates might not vote for ANYONE in the next election. Y'wouldn't think Barack would be just tossing votes out the window, would you? Why?