The whole point of free speech is not to make ideas exempt from criticism but to expose them to it.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Great-granny power!

I received the following message yesterday from a woman of around 85 years of age in Belle Fourche. She has occasionally scolded me for my view that abortion is a matter for a woman, her doctor, and God. She has occasionally scolded me for my view that ingestion of ANY substance is a matter for an adult and any counselor he or she chooses.

"I had nine Catholic women at my prayer group meeting at my house this morning. SoDak IM 13 has nine affirmative votes in November.......I trust that they were answering honestly!!"

While we were obtaining signatures on the petition for IM13, I found, somewhat to my initial surprise, that a woman over 65 was almost a sure bet to sign. They signed in considerably higher proportion than would the members of a group of 25-35 year old men, who would often giggle, make stupid remarks, elbow each other and walk away.

No comments: