The whole point of free speech is not to make ideas exempt from criticism but to expose them to it.

Monday, September 28, 2009

Ken Burns on National Parks


I don't know if anyone caught Ken Burns' documentary last night: National Parks: America's Best Idea.

It is one of the best Ken Burns documentaries I've seen. And, I believe I've seen most of them. The series continues this evening on PBS, daily until Friday. The schedule is here.

Gerard Baker was significantly featured throughout the first episode, and I believe, did himself proud.

Burns' portrayal of John Muir alone, was worth the time and effort to watch. And, as is the case with any Burns documentary, the photography is breathtaking.

Every now and again, when watching Jim Lehrer, I speculate on whether or not PBS is worth the tax dollars it takes to operate the beast. And, then something like a Burns documentary shows up and it becomes clear why we taxpayers continue to fund it.

Don't miss the documentary. So far, it's extraordinary.

No comments: